Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Oh Garden of Fresh Possibilities!

Kim Smith


I was given a poster of this book cover at the Book Expo and I knew the contents would be magical as Gloucester, Mass is one of my favorite places by the sea....

The author has written about the joys of gardening and accompanied the text with her own illustrations of flowers, songbirds and butterflies.

There are lovely poems in the book such as The Bluebird by Emily Dickinson:

Before you thought of spring,
Except as a surmise,
You see, God bless his suddenness,
A fellow in the skies
Of independent hues,
A little weather-worn,
Inspiriting habiliments
Of indigo and brown.

With specimens of song,
As if for you to choose,
Discretion in the interval,
With gay delays he goes
To some superior tree
Without a single leaf,
And shouts for joy to nobody
But his seraphic self!



I love it!!!

2 comments:

beachvintage.com said...

I love the illustration on this cover.

Gerri Ward said...

Thank you for posting this charming illustration and delightful poem - they both have brighten my day!